Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Colorful Colorado


Well, that’s what their welcome sign says anyway. I made it to Colorado yesterday. I was going to stop in Eads (my halfway point to Estes Park) for the night, but it was just too hot to stop that early. It was 100 degrees and I thought the sun was never going to set. So I kept driving in the AC until I got to Hugo, TX and spent the night in a little city park. I took route 287 up the eastern part of the state to avoid the interstates, but I still didn’t see much. It was all barren open plains with occasional windmill farms, cattle grazing and oil rigs (much like the photo above). Thought I was still back in West Texas ;)

I stopped at the Colorado welcome center in Lamar. It was an old train station with a train and windmill theme. I picked up some maps and points of interest brochures to make sure I don’t miss any “must sees”. The ladies working there were very nice and helpful.







Windmill blade from GE Energy:



I didn’t see a mountain until I got to Loveland, CO today. Now we’re going to see some color! ;) I’m staying in a “real” campground tonight, under trees with the smell of wood smoke :) Speaking of trees, when I got here today, there was all this white fluffy stuff blowing through the air and laying on the ground. No, it’s not snow! It’s from female cottonwood trees.






Tomorrow, it's off to Estes Park on the scooter. We're going to take the Trail Ridge Road scenic byway. Can't wait to see those views!

No comments:

Post a Comment