Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Gallivanting in the Garden



Wednesday, I headed for Colorado Springs to see the Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak. At the visitors center, I parked in an RV spot and unloaded my scooter to gallivant around in the garden. It was a gorgeous day with beautiful scenery and sweet scooter roads to traverse.





The garden is full of different shaped rock formations and aptly named. This one is called the “Kissing Camels”



Balanced Rock



And this guy was really brave to be climbing that rock so high!



Most of the formations you could see from the road, but The “Siamese Twins” you had to hike to. I especially wanted to see this one, because you can see Pike’s Peak through the center of it.





I really wanted to ride my scooter up to the top of Pike’s Peak. But after some research about the steep, half gravel road and my experience of high, windy and cold elevations, I decided against it. I also opted not to fight the crowds at the cog railway. So, this was a two-for-one stop. I got to see both things all at the same place! After I finished taking photos, I rode around the park again just enjoying the day :)

Then I headed for Canon City. I wanted to see the Royal Gorge Bridge and had a camping spot all picked out for the night right on the same road. But, when I got there the road was closed off. The police officer told me there was a forest fire and the whole area had been evacuated. So, off I went to Salido for the night on my way to Nathrop for another RVW rally! My Texan friend Margareta was staying right down the road and we decided to go to the rally a day early.

2 comments:

  1. Sharon, Love your blog. Just a couple weeks ago I was wondering about you - if you had left for the great north west yet. Denver and Pikes Peak is high on my bucket list. wasn't Palo Duro awesome? I'd love to see the show sometime. Have a great time and keep us posted.
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't the Garden great! Brings back memories of last years trip to me. I am also enjoying the places you have visited that I missed. Guess I will have to go back. That road looks pretty steep. I don't like to be cold either and wind scares the bejeebers out of me.

    ReplyDelete