Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Oregon Trail

Tuesday, I arrived in Baker City at the Oregon Trail Interpretetive Center. It was impressive to say the least. It included life-like exhibits, displays, video and a storyteller to portray the trials of life on the trail to expand the United States.



It took the pioneers 2000 miles walking 12-15 miles per day for 6 months along the oxen who pulled all their worldly possessions across unforgivable terrain. They left heir family and friends behind most likely for forever to reach the "promised land". It cost them $500.00 to $700.00 to buy oxen and provisions for 6 months to make the trip. That was a lot of money back in the 1800’s.

Their wagons had no suspension, so it was uncomfortable to ride in them. They were typically pulled by 4 oxen to share the load, who subsisted on prairie grass.





The wagons weren’t very spacious, so they could only take the necessities.



Many families would make the trip together for safety in numbers. Here we have a circling of the wagons. Just like we do now when we boondock at a rally ;)



They would set up camp each night and somehow found water and took time to cook and do laundry.



1 in 10 died enroute to the promised land from either accident or disease. They buried their dead right in the center of the trail where the oxen trod to prevent wild animals from digging up the remains.



Here is where I became awestruck. I was actually standing in the ruts of one section of remaining trail taking this photo.





It’s so hard to imagine myself back in those times. We have come so far from their first efforts. I stood there thinking about how I came 2000 miles to get here in less than a month, with more space, running water and the comforts of home in my rig. And they didn’t even have a store to stop at along the way. I’m not sure I would have made it. Their fortitude was priceless and the whole experience was so enlightening, of which I am grateful.

On a lighter note, our last stop in Oregon is in Tillamook. I need to go check out that cheese factory. Not only that, they have also have ice cream and fudge! Sounds like a full course meal to me ;) hahaha!!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Looks like a great place with very interesting things to see.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 1800's and the stories of the trail. I can't imagine making such a long trip. But 10 years ago, I couldn't imagine full-timing either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, what a great story. Sometimes we forget how cushy we have it. Tillamook was fun. Janice and I were there last year. Have another ice cream for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check your blog often...Always enjoyable, love the photos you do so well, and spread the news to Milt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind comments :) I'm having a grand time!

    ReplyDelete