Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tillamook Cheese Factory

Thursday, I visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory as my last stop in Oregon. The whole process was impressive to say the least. You could view the workers hard at it from an observation window above. Although, it was a bit discolored for picture taking.



The cheese mixture begins in these huge vats.



The curds and whey are separated and the cheese is pressed into large blocks that are spit out onto a conveyor belt for cutting and packaging.









This is one of the packaging machines



Then, you can go through the sample line. My favorite part! ;)



Then, you have an opportunity to buy some in the gift shop. I bought some squeaky cheese curds, which are a mild cheddar. Now I know why they call it that. The cheese actually squeeks against your teeth when you chew it. Lol



Not only do they have cheese, but fudge!



And ice cream!



I skipped on the ice cream because the line was so long and you can buy it in all the grocery stores.

The fudge was good, but Fredericksburg Fudge still holds the record for me. Even beating out Macinac Island Fudge from last summer’s travels. That’s just how good it is :)

Now, it’s onward to Washington to tour the Olympic National Park.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I love me some cheese. We will have to visit Tillamoook when we are in that area

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete